6.09.2007

A sound is worth a thousand words

It is terrifying. You'll understand when you see the play. The line load is insane. I talk for 16 pages straight, right at the top of the piece. Then Danielle takes over for an equally long stretch. It's quite a responsibility starting an epic journey. We previewed last night and open tonight. Each time it gets smoother and easier. But the weight of such a hefty piece of text can mess with your mind.

I'm comforted though. Here's why:

The thing I've noticed about acting in this piece, is the listening. Everybody always says listening is the key to great acting. However, the 3 actors literally have to just listen to one another, because we are in our set chairs the whole time and unable to see each other. We have no visual cues. We can only listen and respond. The entire play really is like a piece of music. Even in the performance of it.

I always love the end, when I get to lay my eyes on Danielle and Julie backstage. They have become my supportive cast mates that I only hear for the 100 minutes we're together on stage. We have only our voices and our prop sounds to support one another. It's the only way we can communicate our presence and our love for each other. It is the only way to say, "I'm here for you. I've got you. It's all of us in this together!"

Who knew a sound is worth a thousand words?

No comments: